In June, Elkader, Iowa, will mark a significant milestone: 175 years as a city. Elkader shares this anniversary with Iowa celebrating the anniversary of statehood in 1846.
To commemorate the anniversary, the Elkader Founders’ Day 175th Anniversary Committee invites everyone to attend a full day of fun events on June 19, 2021! From historical tours to live music, food, arts and crafts, shopping and more, we've got you covered for a fun day (or weekend) in Elkader.
The Elkader Founders’ Day 175th Anniversary Celebration events are a nod to the community's heritage. They are designed to help people of all ages learn more about the people, places, and points of pride that have shaped Elkader over the years. The list of anniversary programs includes:
Art, Music, and Culture
● Children's Pioneer Crafts & Games: Led by Abby Harkrader from Osborne Nature Center, we'll have fun pioneer games and crafts to take you and your kiddos back in time — old-time Elkader
● Old Fashioned Spelling Bee: Join the Friends of the Elkader Library for a Spelling Bee at the Elkader Opera House
● Old Time Photo Op: Take a step back in time with an Old Time Photo Op courtesy of Central State Bank
● Scavenger Hunt: Join the Central Athletic Boosters for a Scavenger Hunt Run/Walk around town, getting some exercise WHILE learning all about Elkader and its history ● Beard Contest: This event was popular at the 150th-anniversary celebration, so we are doing it again. Beard judging will be based on the following categories: whitest beard, longest beard, saddest beard, bushiest beard
● Tales of Elkader's Past: Visit historic sites and listen to voices of the past brought to life by volunteers from the Opera House Players
● Rhythm on the River: Founders' Day Special — Patsy & Plum Street Band: A special, bonus Rhythm on the River event
● Community Picnic & Music at Founders Park: Pack a cooler or grab lunch from a local business and enjoy music from hometown musician, Sophia Landis. City dignitaries will bury a time capsule and plant a tree to commemorate the milestone
● Pilates in the Park: Teri Ann Marting of Inhale Exhale Studio will lead a Pilates class in Founders' Park
● Turkey River Float Trip: Round out the weekend fun with a float trip down the Turkey River led by Clayton County Conservation
● Pony Hollow Trail Walk: The folks at Clayton County Conservation will lead us on a trail walk along the beautiful Pony Hollow Trail
● Historic Landmarks & Figures Tours: Join the Elkader Historic Society for historical tours around town! We'll have historical figures placed around town to help tell the story of Elkader's past 175 years.
● St. Joseph's Catholic Church & Hall
● Carter House Museum
● Clayton County Genealogical Society
● Rural Heritage Museum & Railroad Depot
● Central Community School
● Historic Photo Slideshow
● Central State Bank: Old Money & Historic Artifacts Display
"The community is seizing the opportunity to showcase Elkader's unique history through events for all ages, interests, and backgrounds. Elkader is a diverse community of residents from all over the world. Furthermore, the town has been a popular destination for tourists for years. We invite visitors and residents alike to step into the past to learn about Elkader's tradition that keeps the community vibrant and thriving today," Ann Gibney, Elkader Area Chamber of Commerce director and a life-long resident, said.
Visit www.elkader175th.com to learn more about Elkader's Founders’ Day 175th Anniversary Celebration events and the group of volunteers and business sponsors that make this event possible.