The Mississippi River in the Prairie du Chien area has dropped below 17.0 feet, and city officials will reopen St. Feriole Island to vehicles and trucks effective at 9:00 a.m. (Thursday). A map of the open routes is below. The city will evaluate the routes daily and will determine if any other openings and/or closures need to be made.
Some streets will be opened as the water continues to recede. Debris removal will start as the water recedes, please be patient while we attempt to accomplish what we can while still dealing with high water.
City and County Officials will meet tomorrow to discuss a clean up of the City of Prairie du Chien along with Prairie du Chien Township.
SAND BAG REMOVAL
If you have sandbags and you want to dispose of them, please take them to the city parking lot behind the radio station. Cut open the bag and place sand in a pile and discard the sandbag in the trash receptacle that has been provided.
PLEASE CALL 211 If assistance is needed so city and county officials can establish a list of work to be completed. Businesses and residents are encouraged to call.
ENTERING RESTRICTED AREAS – The following rules apply in both the City of Prairie du Chien and throughout Crawford County:
1. You can receive permits, at no cost, at Prairie du Chien City Hall between 8 AM and 4:30 PM.
2. All permits will be approved prior to issuance.
3. Permits are required for any businesses located or operating in the restricted area.
4. Upon entering any restricted area, you must call the Crawford County Dispatch Center (608-326-8414) and state your name, contact number in case of emergency, the length of time and purpose for being in the restricted area.
5. Upon leaving, you must notify the Dispatch Center that you are leaving the restricted area.
6. Each time a person enters and leaves a restricted area, they are responsible for moving the barricades that are blocking the road. For example, when you arrive, move barricade, drive through, and then immediately stop and replace the barricades behind you. Repeat the process when exiting as well.
7. If a business is surrounded by flood waters, the permits do not allow for pedestrian or vehicular traffic through the flood waters.
8. Access by boats is permissible at your own discretion, BUT law enforcement/fire personnel will not transport by boat. Please keep in mind a slow no-wake is in effect for all waters under the jurisdiction of the city of Prairie du Chien.
9. VIOLATIONS OF THESE RULES COULD RESULT IN PENALTIES OR REVOCATION OF FURTHER ACCESS TO RESTRICTED AREAS.
STREET CLOSURES CURRENTLY IN EFFECT
North Main St is closed from Pine Street to McLeod Street
Washington Street from North Main Street to St. Feriole Island
Portions of St. Feriole Island